Here are a few things that were shared on one of the boat building forums. I would imagine that a lot of these were experienced by M&J during the aftermath of Katrina.
"This is from a High School friend from Houston and way off topic.
I could lie and say She lives on a boat in a marina under a pine
tree. Could be applied to cruising.
Things we learned during our Hurricane Ike . . .
A new opening phrase when seeing someone: 'Got lights yet?'
1. Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ grill.
2. No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work
3. My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the
people in line who helped me push it).
4. Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller
in their hand.
5. Cats are even more irritating without power.
6. He who has the biggest generator wins.
7. Women can actually survive without doing their hair- you just wish
they weren't around you.
8. A new method of non-lethal torture-showers without hot water.
9. There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.
10. TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful.
11. A 7-lb bag of ice will chill 6-12 oz Cokes to a drinkable
temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep a 14-lb.turkey frozen for 8
12. There are a lot of trees around here.
13. Flood plane drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously
14. Siding, while aesthetically pleasing, is definitely not required.
15. Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14
16. People will get into a line that has already formed without
having any idea what the line is for.
17. When required, a Lincoln Continental will float, doesn't steer
well but floats just the same.
18. Tele-marketers function no matter what the weather is doing.
19. Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as
the battery remains charged.
20. 27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than
you, and they are quick to point that out!
21. Dirty clothes hampers were not made to contain such a volume.
22. If I owned a store & sold only ice, chainsaws, gas and
generators.. . I'd be rich.
23. Price of a can of soup rises 200% in a storm.
24. Your water front property can quickly become someone else's
25. Tree service companies are under appreciated.
26. I learned what happens when you make fun of another states'
27. MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without power equals 30%
higher electric bill ?????
28. Drywall is a compound word, take away the 'dry' part and it's
29. I can walk a lot farther than I thought -- & from Alvin, TX
30. My dad was right, relatives & shrimp, in a freezer without
electricity, both stink after 3 days.
TWO-YEAR-OLD CANNED BEETS TASTE BETTER THAN YOU THINK
MANICURES ARE A SIGN OF CIVILIZATION
IF YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH TO WEAR UNDERWEAR, YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH TO WASH
WHAT LOOKS ACCEPTABLE BY CANDLELIGHT IN YOUR BATHROOM WILL SCARE YOU
WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR AT THE OFFICE
COFFEE IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT STARBUCKS
RATHER THAN CAMPFIRES, YOU FIND FAMILIES HUDDLED ABOUT TINY BATTERY-
OPERATED TELEVISIONS TO WATCH ANYTHING
PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY IS A PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE MEAL FOR BREAKFAST,
LUNCH AND DINNER IN THE SAME DAY
DON'T SHUN THOSE WHO USE TYLENOL PM OR ADVIL PM TO GET THROUGH 11-
THAT NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE A CHAINSAW IS YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
IT SEEMS SPOOKY THAT THE ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH STILL WORKS
ICE IS A FORM OF CURRENCY
IT'S OK TO LET THE KIDS KEEP THEIR STICK FORT UNTIL THE DEBRIS-PICKUP
CREWS START ROLLING IN
A THREE-HOUR LINE FOR GASOLINE IS AN EXPLOSION WAITING TO HAPPEN
COMING HOME FROM WORK WITH A PIZZA AND A CHARGED-UP LAPTOP SO THE
KIDS CAN WATCH A DVD MAKES YOU A HERO
YOU RUN OUT OF THINGS TO BARBECUE AFTER DAY 2
ROOF-DAMAGE STORIES ARE PASSÉ'
SPAGHETTI-O' S AND CANNED TUNA DO NOT MIX WELL
HAIR CAN DRY WITHOUT A BLOW-DRYER, BUT IT MAY NOT LOOK THE WAY YOU
THE STORM TREASURES YOUR KIDS ARE FINDING REALLY BELONG TO YOUR
IF YOU HEAR A CHAINSAW AFTER DARK, NEXT LISTEN FOR THE AMBULANCE SIREN
BASEBALL CAPS GO WITH ANY POST-HURRICANE ENSEMBLE
GRAPES TASTE BETTER IN THE DARK
YOU CAN NOT TRAIN YOURSELF NOT TO FLIP ON LIGHT SWITCHES WHEN
ENTERING A ROOM
LUKEWARM IS THE NEW COLD
YOU HAVE NEIGHBORS
THE FREEZER SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLEANED OUT REGULARLY
DITTO THE FRIDGE
GARAGE DOORS ARE NOT MAGIC
IT IS EASIER TO IGNORE A DIRTY FLOOR WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE IT
HEARING A NEIGHBORS GENERATOR IN THE MIDDLE OF A HOT NIGHT MAKES YOU
WANT TO COMMIT MURDER, UNLESS HE HAS GIVEN YOU AN EXTENSION CORD TO
RUN YOUR REFRIGERATOR (Amen Thank you Mr. Gutierrez).
YOU MAY HAVE RAKED UP A MILLION PINE CONES BUT THERE ARE STILL PLENTY
MORE WHERE THEY CAME FROM AND YOU ARE BOUND TO STEP ON ONE IF ONE
GOES OUT BAREFOOT
PLAYING BOARD GAMES BY CANDLELIGHT QUICKLY BECOMES A NEIGHBORHOOD
OFF STILL HASN'T MADE A MOSQUITO REPELLENT THAT WILL DETER TEXAS